Enjoying yourself and having a great time while you are travelling is awesome and the last thing you need to be worrying about is your braces or appliance! With the holiday season upon us, below are a few things to take into consideration before heading away on your trip.
- Ensure you have no long wires before you leave, let us know if you do and we can trim these to get you out of discomfort and ready for your trip.
- Ask us for some wax before you go, this can help with any pain or discomfort from a long wire or bracket rubbing on your cheek/gums until you are back and can see us again.
- If you are wearing elastics, make sure that you have plenty to get you through your trip or extra in case you lose any while away.
- Keep your retainer in its case when not being worn, always take your retainer case with when on holidays, so it doesn’t get lost if you take it out to eat or go for a swim.
- Make sure you avoid chewing hard and sticky foods as this can result in broken brackets. If you do break a bracket, give us a call and we can schedule an appointment with you for when you are back so that we can fix it.
- If you’re going away soon after first getting your braces on or after having a wire change, you may experience some general soreness, this is completely normal! So it’s ideal to take away with you some pain relief medication in case you feel the need for some. You may also notice your lips, cheeks and tongue may become tender for a weeks as they adjust to the braces, just use the wax on the brackets where it is irritating you, also you can try rinsing your mouth with warm salty water.
- Have our phone number handy in case of any questions you may have while away. You can also look up the nearest Orthodontist to your holiday destination just in case of any emergencies that may arise while you are away.
Wishing everyone a great time away, be safe and have fun!